What is Pdfcrowd?
Pdfcrowd is an online service that can convert web pages and HTML documents to
PDF and various image formats. Pdfcrowd launched in 2009 and has been providing
a reliable conversion service to businesses and individuals since then.
What conversion services do you offer?
We provide these services:
- Pdfcrowd API - The API enables you to easily
convert documents in your applications.
- Save as PDF Link - A special link that can save the
containing web page to PDF.
- In-Browser - Lets you convert documents in
our online conversion form and with our
Do you provide support?
Yes, we provide email based support. The majority of support requests is
answered within 1 business day.
Where are you located?
We are based in the EU but our infrastructure is hosted in the USA.
Where can I ask further questions?
Please feel free to contact us. We will happily answer
any questions you may have.
Is the API reliable? How much downtime can I expect?
You should experience no downtime at all. The API is hosted in
Google Cloud and deployed to multiple independent
zones with redundant capacity and automatic failover.
On which platforms is the API available?
The API is available virtually on any platform that supports HTTP/HTTPS. We have
client libraries for popular programming languages that make the API integration
a matter of minutes. You can also communicate with API directly via
What HTML/CSS version does the API support?
convert any modern web page.
What web page content is ignored?
The following content is ignored: video, audio, Flash, third-party plugins,
Do I need an Internet connection to use the API?
The API is a web service, conversions run on our servers. You need an Internet
connection to be able to use the API. We do not provide a standalone SDK that
could be used offline.
Can I convert web pages that are hosted locally (localhost, intranet)?
Pdfcrowd can only convert web pages that are on the public Internet. If you need
to convert locally hosted pages, you can either pass on the page's HTML code to
the API or you can use
Can the API convert password protected pages?
Yes, the API can convert password protected pages.
- Basic authentication: you can use setHttpAuth()
- Cookie/session based authentication: you can set the session cookie with setCookies()
What's the difference between the legacy API v1 and API v2?
The API v1 is the original API that had been offered since 2009. It is no longer
available to new Pdfcrowd accounts. The API v2 is based on the latest web technologies
and solves many issues that were present in API v1.
The API is not working or gives an incorrect output, what should I check for?
- Ensure that your implementation handles errors correctly. Refer to the Error
Handling section in our documentation.
- If an API call fails, you can look up the returned error code here.
- You can enable debug logging with setDebugLog().
You can find your debug logs in your account page.
- If the above does not help, send us:
- Your API implementation.
- A minimal HTML document or a link to a web page that we can use to reproduce the issue.
- Related debug logs.
Enable debug logging with setDebugLog()
to troubleshoot the cause. In general, our converter can't download external
- Your API implementation uses convertFile...() or convertString...() family
of API functions and your HTML document refers external assets using relative URLs.
- If the external assets reside in your intranet or on your localhost.
Here are possible workarounds:
- You can zip all external assets along with the HTML document and pass on the
zip file to one of the convertFile...() API functions.
- If the assets are accessible on the public Internet, you can refer to them using absolute URLs:
- An alternative is to use relative URLs in a combination with the
Animation in the page is not finished.
We strongly recommend to disable animations in the converted HTML
documents. Charting frameworks usually provide such an option. If that's not
Migration from Legacy API v1
What's new in the API v2?
- We added new converters that can convert between HTML, PDF and various image
- The API is highly available with automatic capacity scaling. It is hosted in
the Google Cloud Platform.
- New HTML to PDF features:
- Linearized PDFs for fast web view.
- A new option to specify a delay to wait before printing if the page loads dynamic content.
- A new option to send session specific information via cookies.
- A new option to print only a part of HTML content.
- Multi-page watermarks and backgrounds to allow filling in scanned PDF forms.
- Detailed conversion logs that can help with troubleshooting.
- Intuitive HTML zoom.
- The API solves many issues the current HTML to PDF converter had:
- Improved remote font support (Google Fonts, Typekit, etc.)
- CJK languages and complex
scripts (Arabic alphabet,
- Repeating <thead>, paletted PNG, inline SVG and many more.
Should I migrate from the legacy API to API v2?
The new API is based on the latest web technologies and solves many issues with
the legacy API. We definitely encourage you to give the new API a try.
The new API introduces minor backward incompatible changes but the migration
from the current API should be straightforward. Just upgrade your API client
library to the latest version and follow the
new documentation. You can run both API
The legacy API will stay available for accounts that were created prior
introducing the API v2. However the legacy API will no longer receive any
updates and we will provide support for critical issues only.
Can I change or cancel my monthly API plan at any time?
Yes, you can cancel or change your monthly plan at any time.
Do unused credits roll over from month to month?
No, they are reset each month on the subscription start day.
What if my credit usage goes over the monthly API plan quota?
Don't worry - we won't cut you off! If you hit the limit, we will send you a
notification email but your account will stay fully functional. We tolerate
occasional overruns. However, you are expected to upgrade if you exceed the plan
quota by a significant margin or on a regular basis.
What payments methods do you support?
- Monthly plans (automatically recurring) - Visa or MasterCard, AMEX is not supported at the moment
- Annual or 6-months licenses (one-off) - Paypal, Visa or MasterCard
Where can I download my invoices?
You can download your invoices in your account page.
Browser conversion (web form and add-on)
Some content is missing from the output.
Pdfcrowd tries to remove ads and elements that obstruct the page content by
default. This can sometimes remove content that is valid. You can disable ad
blocking with the Try to block ads switch or increase/disable the Remove
obscuring content with z-index option.
Can I use a single Browser license on multiple PCs?
Yes, you can use it on multiple PCs. However, you can't share your login among multiple users.
Is Pdfcrowd GDPR compliant (EU General Data Protection Regulation)?
Pdfcrowd is GDPR compliant. If your input documents contain third parties'
personal data, you can review and accept our
Data Processing Agreement.
Is Pdfcrowd HIPAA compliant?
No, we are not HIPAA compliant.