This is an archived forum post. The information may be outdated. Contact us if you have any questions.

editing PDFs

ftpmark wrote on 2012-02-02:
I am using the following code but my client is having trouble editing the PDF. I even tried adding $client->setNoModify(false); before and after the convertURI call which according to your doc I shouldn't need.

What am I doing wrong?

Mark
==============================================================================

<?php
require 'pdfcrowd.php';

try
{
// Get Parameters - URL & filename
$url = $_POST['url'];
$filename = $_POST['filename'];

// create an API client instance
$client = new Pdfcrowd("ftpmark", "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx");

// convert a web page and store the generated PDF into a $pdf variable
$pdf = $client->convertURI($url);

// set HTTP response headers
header("Content-Type: application/pdf");
header("Cache-Control: no-cache");
header("Accept-Ranges: none");
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"$filename\"");

// send the generated PDF
echo $pdf;
}
support wrote on 2012-02-02:
Hello Mark,

what do you want to edit in the generated PDF? Do you have some example?

Please note that the service does not support editable PDF forms so if you are converting an HTML form the fields are non-editable in the generated PDF.
ftpmark wrote on 2012-02-02:
I want to be able to edit text and delete/change out the image from a page like this one - http://www.accesslighting.com/pages/cut_sheet.php?model=20292
support wrote on 2012-02-03:
I'm not sure why, but the PDF generated from your page is not, indeed, fully editable in Adobe Acrobat.

A workaround is to export the PDF to PostScript (File > Export > PostScript > PostScript) and then convert it back to PDF (File > Create PDF > From File...). The newly created PDF should be fully editable.
ftpmark wrote on 2012-02-04:
Can you please investigate a little deeper into this issue. It is pretty much standard HTML. Have you looked at the underlying HTML to get to the root cause? We are a paying customer and I would like this issue raised to the next level support.
support wrote on 2012-02-04:
We have fixed this issue. Please try it now, PDFs should be editable.