This is an archived forum post. The information may be outdated. Contact us if you have any questions.

✓ (Check Mark) not appearing in PDFs

blueskysd wrote on 2015-12-09:
I use the following code in my html and it works great:

<div class="check">&#10003;</div>

However, when I generate a PDF I get a box instead of a check mark.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks,
Jenny
support wrote on 2015-12-15:
Hello Jenny,

Could you please post a full HTML example that demonstrates the problem? I tried to convert just
<div class="check">&#10003;</div>

and the resulting PDF looks correct - see the attachment
blueskysd wrote on 2015-12-30:
Here's is a full url example: http://zoracle.net/zor-report/zoracle/59688?do=makepdf

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the google font I'm using. I will try playing with the font (using a basic font for the checkmarks) and see if that changes anything.

Thanks,
Jenny
blueskysd wrote on 2015-12-30:
I'm now applying the following css to my checkmarks:

.printCheck {
font-family: "Arial Black", Helvetica, sans-serif;
}

With this css, the checkmarks do appear in the pdf. However, the font used is not even close to the appearance in the screen version of the page. Arial Black would provide the closest looking checkmark to the Google "Open Sans" font, but no matter what fonts and font-families I try I can only get the skinny straight checkmark. Is this a limitation of the fonts installed on your server?

Attachments show the difference in the desired check (curvy & thick) vs. what I'm getting (straight & fine).

Thanks
Jenny
support wrote on 2016-01-04:
Hello Jenny,

Neither Arial Black nor Helvetica are installed on our servers and so unavailable for PDF. If you require Arial Black or Helvetica in the generated PDF, you can upload the font files via the standard CSS rule. Example:
@font-face
{ 
  font-family: 'Helvetica'; 
  src: url('https://example.com/fonts/HelveticaBold.ttf') format(truetype);
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
}